If you are looking to have a great career in acting, you must first have a great photo. Use the following tips to help you get a great shot.
1. Choose A Photographer Based On Your Comfort Level With Them.Pick a photographer that makes you feel comfortable. You should feel at ease with your photographer. If you don’t, you won’t trust their expertise and directions. And your uneasiness will show up in your pictures. A good photographer will work to make sure that you shine and are comfortable throughout the entire process.
2. Get Your Shots Done By A Professional. Do not let your friends take your headshot. While your friend may mean well, unless they are an experienced photographer, they won’t understand all the factors that need to be captured to present you at your best. An experienced photographer has heard input from many actors, agents, and casting directors throughout their many years of shooting. They can use this knowledge to capture what agents and casting directors are looking for. Can the same be said of your friend?
3. Have Your Make Done. That Includes Men. Actor headshots look better in makeup including men headshots. NYC casting directors seem to prefer color photos. Photos done in color reveal more imperfections than black and white photos. It is important to make sure the makeup only enhances your natural features and does not change you into someone that represents a part that you’ll never go out for. Choose natural makeup over glamorous makeup, and you’ll go a long way in getting a great photo. Your picture must look like you.
4. Know What To Wear. Consider the parts you will be up for. Your photo should be representative of the parts you are more likely to go audition for. Your first impression is made with your picture. So make sure it represents your range accurately. Also consider doing multiple looks within one session. This will ensure that you will be well prepared to compete for a multitude of parts.
5. Know Yourself. The day of your photo shoot is not the day to test a new hair style, or skincare product. Try to keep your routine as regular as possible to avoid potential complications on the day of your shoot. If you are considering trying something different, give yourself ample time to recover just in case your experiment doesn’t go well.
There are many other factors that go into making a great picture but those are enough to get you started.